Please read the notes before you download.
The Old Stock Exchange dates back to 1625 and is one of the oldest buildings in Copenhagen.
King Christian IV had realized the importance of increased trade and commerce, and so he had this grand building erected.
At the time of its inauguration, the building had room for at least 40 market stalls. The Old Stock Exchange was then surrounded by water from three sides, so ships could unload their cargo directly at the wharf in front.
Roof turned to canon balls during war
The Old Stock Exchange was built in Dutch Renaissance style. King Christian IV had originally covered the roof with lead, but during the Swedish occupation of Copenhagen 1658-59, much of this lead was removed to produce cannon balls, and the holes in the roof were only partly covered with tin and tile.
Not until the end of the 19th century was the building roofed with copper.
The four intertwined dragon tails of the dragon spire are topped by three crowns, symbolizing the Scandinavian empire (Denmark, Norway, and Sweden).
|Uploaded||3 years ago|
|Resolution||1200 x 797 px|
|Photographer||Thomas Høyrup Christensen|